White birthday cake
- 1 cup (250g) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup copha, chilled
- 3 cups (775g) white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 servingsåÊbuttercream icing
Preheat oven to 180å¡C (160å¡C fan-forced). Grease and flour 3 x 23cm round cake pans and set aside.
In a large bowl, add the butter and grate the copha on top. Using a mixer, beat together on medium speed until combined. While the motor is running, pour in sugar half a cup at a time until the whole 3 cups are well combined.
Add the eggs one at a time, taking care that each is well incorporated before adding the next one.
In another large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a jug, combine both the milks and vanilla extract.
With the mixer running, alternate between adding the flour and milk mixtures, bit by bit, until everything is mixed in. Then beat on high for 3 minutes.
Pour equal amounts of batter into each tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer placed into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cake rack to cool completely.
When cakes are cooled, sandwich each layer with buttercream icing and then ice entire cake all over.
- If you want to add a bit of pizzazz to this cake, you can pour 1 cup of coloured sprinkles into the batter and stir just before baking.
- You can add food colouring to the buttercream icing to create a different look, and experiment with different toppings and sprinkles too.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung foråÊKidspot, New Zealand’s beståÊrecipe finder.