Sydney Opera House hat
This fun fancy dress costume hat is ideal for Australia Day, a school international day parade or even as a birthday party hat. All you need is paper plates and a stapler.
What you need:
- 5 x plain white paper plates
- hat elastic (to make a chin strap)
Number of players:
Cut an eye shape out of the middle of each plate so that you end up with 10 crescent shapes (see video).
Pair up 10 crescents so you have five pairs with the plates facing inwards.
Staple the top point of each pair and then staple about 5cm along the circumference of each pair. Now you have five 3D Opera House sails. All you have to do is join them up in a way that makes a hat.
Open out each pair (where it's not stapled) and place one pair over the top of another, with the stapled point up. Staple both sides of the pair separately where one pair meets the other (see video).
Lay them in Sydney Opera House formation (remember that two of the sails face backwards!) and staple them together like this, until you have a hat.
Attach some elastic as a chin strap.
More Australia Day ideas:
- 30 things to do with kids on Australia Day
- Make a map of Australia collage
- Australia puzzle map
- Australia Day colouring pages
- Australiana colouring pages
- Best Aussie jokes for kids
- Aboriginal handprints
- Boomerang art
- Make a cork hat
- Australian flag collage
- Create an Aboriginal dot painting
- Aboriginal stick painting
- Make an Australia Day beach swag
Find more fun things to make with kids
- Make a dream catcher
- Grow a grass head
- Cute fruit stamps
- Make a rainbow wind spinner
- Costumes and dress up video tutorials
- Kids' craft videos
- Make a fairy garden terrarium
- Coloured pasta jewellery
- Fun recipes to cook with kids
- Make a scarecrow
- 5 great things to make with a box