Serving size : 12 muffins
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 bacon rashers, finely diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and grated
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a frying pan, cook the onion and bacon until the onion is translucent and the bacon is crispy. Remove from heat and mix in grated potato. Season mixture well with salt and pepper and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together. Add cheese and the onion, potato and bacon mixture. Combine with a fork.
In a small bowl, mix the egg and milk together and pour into the flour mixture. Fold together until all ingredients are wet.
Spoon mixture evenly into the muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool further.
- You can add 1 tbsp of mixed dried herbs to this recipe or 1/3 cup of chopped chives for extra flavour.
- Make sure that you don’t overwork this mixture or you will end up with tough muffins.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.