Banana maple cake
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ripe bananas (about 1 cup), mashed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) self-raising flour
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 20cm square tin.
Cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in maple syrup and vanilla essence. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in mashed bananas. Add lemon juice to milk, then fold it through the batter with the flour.
Pour into prepared tin. Bake for 50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly in the tin then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Find more delicious cake recipes:
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing
- Lemon juice sours the milk and helps the cake rise. Be sure to add the lemon juice to the milk just before mixing it into the cake.
- If you have buttermilk in the fridge, you could always use that instead.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.