- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- half a cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 large free-range eggs
- half a cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- half a cup buttermilk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 75g unsalted butter
- half a cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 and a half cups icing mixture
- Sprinkles, for decoration
Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake papers and set aside.
Sift together flour and baking powder in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy then stir in vanilla. Add one egg and beat for one minute, then add the second egg and beat in again for another minute.
Add flour mixture and stir until combined, then beat in buttermilk. Fill cupcake papers 3/4 full and bake for 13-15 minutes. Stick a butter knife into a cupcake. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are ready. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
To make icing, place first 3 icing ingredients in a saucepan and bring to medium-high heat until boiling and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in milk and allow to boil another minute, remove from heat. Whisk in icing sugar until smooth. Drop a tablespoon of warm icing on top of each cupcake, decorating with sprinkles quickly before the icing sets. Serve immediately.
- You need to work quickly with this icing, so make sure you have everything you need to hand.
- The warm caramel icing is delicious! There is no hardship in having to eat these cupcakes while the caramel icing is still warm.
- Let the kids go crazy with the decorations on these cupcakes. Just make sure they are decorated before the icing cools or you will find all the decorations on the floor!
This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand