- 1 kg chicken thighs and legs, bone in
- 1/3 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, medium dice
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g tin whole tomatoes, strained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup white wine (I used a cleanskin Semillon)
- 3-4 sprigs lemon thyme
- 12 whole Kalamata olives
Preheat oven to 190C.
Heat a large frying pan until hot.
Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and dredge chicken pieces in the flour mixture, shaking off excess flour.
Add oil to frying pan followed by chicken and brown. Remove to a plate and keep until needed.
Turn heat down to medium, add butter, and once melted add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, season with a little salt and pepper then add tomato paste.
Stir to combine and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes followed by white wine and stir to combine.
Bring to the boil, add lemon thyme and olives then place chicken pieces on top, cover frying pan with a lid or foil and place in the oven to cook for one hour.
After one hour, remove the lid/foil, turn up the heat to 210C and continue for a further 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve.
- If you dont have an ovenproof frying pan, you can transfer the chicken and sauce to a casserole dish with a lid.
- You can remove the chicken skin before cooking if you want to decrease the amount of fat in the recipe.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.