Chickpeas with chorizo
- 40ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced into 1cm thick discs
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight then cooked until tender or 1 tin (400g) chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- chilli flakes to taste
- 1 handful basil, roughly chopped
Place the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to a medium heat.
Brown the chorizo slices then remove from the pan, then cook the onions for 5 minutes or until nice and soft.
Return the chorizo to the pan and add the chickpeas, tomatoes and chilli flakes. Add a little water if you think the mixture is looking a bit dry.
Cook at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes. Scatter with basil and serve.
Find more brunch recipes
- Basic pancakes
- Big breakfast
- Bull's eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Breakfast burritos
- Golden brunch puffs
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Homemade crumpets
- Almond croissants
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter
- Apple & hazelnut bircher muesli
- You can serve these as a snack or with other tapas dishes for a dinner party.
- If you are serving these to children you may omit the chilli flakes.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.