Creamy low-fat custard
- 2 1/2 cups (635ml) low-fat milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp natural vanilla essence (optional)
Pour the milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks, cornflour and caster sugar in a heatproof bowl and whisk until smooth.
Remove the hot milk from the heat and slowly pour the milk onto the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream, whisking constantly
Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly with the wooden spoon until thickened.
Flavour with a few drops of vanilla essence (optional).
Remove from the heat and strain into a bowl.
Cool down in the fridge before transferring to leak-proof containers for the lunch box.
Find related healthy dinner recipes
- Fish in foil
- Pan-fried lamb salad
- Vietnamese rice paper rolls
- Turkey and mango parcels
- Spring lamb with dukkah yoghurt
- Vegetable tagine with couscous
- Creamy low-fat custard
- Healthy roast lamb
- Beer can chicken
- Tom yum soup
- Chicken in Oyster sauce stirfry
- This custard keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serve any leftovers with fresh fruit for dessert!
- If you always burn custard, you can add the sugar towards the end of cooking to prevent this.
- This recipe was created by Maxabella of Maxabella loves… Follow Maxabella on Facebook or Pinterest.