Free form apple pie
- 2 sheets frozen sweet shortcrust pastry
- 3 small red apples (Pink Ladies are my favourite)
- 4 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon caster sugar
- Thick cream or icecream, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Remove pastry sheets from freezer and lay on a bench to defrost.
Quarter and core apples, then thinly slice each quarter.
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons almond meal on each pastry sheet, leaving a 5cm border.
Pile on apples, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Fold up edges of pastry, doesn’t matter if it looks messy, that’s the whole idea.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry is crisp, apples are tender and there is a fantastic aroma drifting through the house!
Serve hot with cream or icecream.
- Make sure you get sweet shortcrust pastry, I have made this pie with unsweetened pastry, but it’s just not quite right.
- You could always make your own pastry, if time permits.
- Leftovers can be kept covered in the fridge and reheated the next night at about 150°C.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.