Glazed orange and almond cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g almond meal
- zest of two oranges
- zest and juice of a lemon
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche
- 1 cup icing sugar
- zest and juice of one orange
Preheat oven to 200°C conventional or 180°C fan-forced.
Line a cake tin with baking paper or grease a moulded cake tin.
Beat egg yolks and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
Gently fold almond meal into egg mixture.
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Fold a little through egg and almond mixture to loosen it up before adding the rest of the egg whites, zest and lemon juice.
Fold gently until just combined and spoon into prepared cake tin.
Bake for 30 minutes or until cake is golden and just starting to pull away from sides of tin.
Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before icing.
For the glaze
Combine all ingredients and spoon over cooled cake.
Find related cake recipes
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing
- Sprinkle with some flaked almonds for decoration if you want to make it look extra fancy.
- This cake is extra good if you can be bothered to make the almond meal yourself from natural almonds. To do this just process up a cup or so in your food processor until nice and fine. It makes all the difference to the end result.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.