Green pea and ham soup recipe
- 1kg bacon bones
- 500g green spit peas
- 1 onion
- 4 carrots
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- parsley to garnish
In a large pot place bacon bones and green split peas. Cover with water and bring to the boil and simmer for 60 minutes.
Skim continually and remove bones making sure that all of the meat is removed and returned to the soup.
In another skillet saute onions, carrots and celery and add them to the soup pot.
Pour the vegetables into the simmering soup and return to the boil. Simmer for a further hour, stirring at 10 minute intervals to ensure it doesn’t catch on the bottom of the pot.
Serve with parsley or celery leaves to garnish and crusty bread.
- Thick and delicious…this is a Saturday afternoon style soup!
- Make sure you skim it properly.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot New Zealand’s best recipe finder
Related soup recipes
- Chicken and corn soup
- Chicken matzo ball soup
- Chicken noodle soup
- Chunky vegetable soup with chickpeas
- Creamy mushroom soup
- Leftover soup
- Ninja turtle soup (potato and broccoli)
- Potato bacon and leek soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup
- Pumpkin soup
- Spicy sweet potato soup with coriander pesto toasts
- Spring vegetable soup