Lentil and lemon soup recipe
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 20ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 80g baby spinach
- 1 lemon, juice
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Greek yoghurt (1/2 cup)
Place lentils and 750ml (3 cups) water in a saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Drain.
Return empty saucepan to stove and heat oil. Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add drained lentils, bay leaf and 1.25L (5 cups) water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 45 minutes, skimming any scum that rises to the surface.
Season well with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice to taste. Just before serving, stir through spinach, allowing it to wilt.
Ladle soup into bowls, top with yoghurt and serve with extra lemon.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe
- Double the recipe and freeze in single-serve portions for workday lunches.
- Add a large handful of chopped fresh parsley or coriander just prior to serving for some extra zing.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, a working mum whose desire to make and bake things has grown in inverse proportion to the amount of spare time she has since her three gorgeous girls came along. Her blog is typically red.