- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup (250g) butter
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 6 granny smith or bramley apples (I used 3 large bramleys and 1 granny smith)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
Mini apple pies
Mix flours together.
In a saucepan, place the butter, water and sugar, and place on stove and heat until butter is melted.
Slowly while beating, add the liquids to the flours, this will make it swell and fluff up a bit – you may need to add a few more tablespoons of flour to get it to the right consistency which would be a soft pliable dough.
Place dough in a zip lock bag or container and refrigerate until chilled (about 1 hour).
Roll out onto floured surface.
To make the filling, peel and dice roughly apples Place in mixing bowl with cinnamon and sugars and mix through until all apple is evenly covered.
To make the pies, grease 2 muffin tins with canola spray or butter.
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Press a small ball of dough into the bottom of the muffin tin and then press it around to the sides to ensure all the sides are covered by pastry up to the lip.
Spoon in the apple filling and make it fill the cup entirely and about 2cm over the top.
Roll out the pastry and cut out circles to make a lid for each.
Lay the pastry lid on top and pinch the top and bottom pieces of pastry together to close each pie.
Poke one or two slits in the top to vent the pies and then place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until golden on top.
- Your kids’ little fingers will be perfect for the pressing out the dough job. And they’ll enjoy it so much more than you will.
- Last weekend we headed off to the country for some apple picking. We came home with 10kg of apples and I set myself the challenge of using every single one of them. Hence these apple pies!
- This is a new pastry recipe which was a total success and was easy to make (and remember) – I will be making it again!
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
More recipes on Kidspot: