Poached chicken and avocado salad
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 4 chicken breasts
- 40ml (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 20ml (1 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 120g spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 40g alfalfa sprouts
Bring chicken stock and 1 cup (250ml) water to the boil in a large saucepan. Submerge chicken, bring back to the boil, then turn off heat, cover tightly with a lid and leave for 10 minutes until cooked through.
To make dressing, combine oils, vinegar and seasoning and set aside.
Heat a small frypan over medium heat, add pumpkin seeds and toast for a couple of minutes, being careful not to burn. Set aside.
In a large bowl, gently toss spinach, avocado, alfalfa and most of the seeds. Dress lightly with the vinegar-oil mixture.
Remove chicken from stock and slice. Serve alongside salad. Garnish with extra seeds.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad
- Poached chicken is delicious in sandwiches. Make extra for tomorrow's lunch.
- Reserve the chicken stock and use it in soups or risottos.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, a working mum whose desire to make and bake things has grown in inverse proportion to the amount of spare time she has since her three gorgeous girls came along. Her blog is typically red.