Prawn and ginger cakes
- 1 large potato, peeled, diced
- 250g peeled green prawns
- 3 shallots (scallions), finely diced
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Place potato in a small saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 8-10 minutes until tender. Drain and lay in a single layer on a plate or tray to cool.
Chop prawn meat finely and place in a large bowl with shallots, coriander, ginger, soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well. Use a fork to roughly mash potatoes then add them to the prawn mix with the cornflour. Combine well.
Heat half the oil in a large nonstick frying pan. Form 16 cakes from the prawn mix and cook in batches for 2 minutes each side until nicely brown, adding more oil as required. Remove to a plate lined with absorbent paper and keep warm.
Serve with extra sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
Find more prawn recipes
- Avocado and prawn salad
- Chilli, lime and coriander prawns
- Classic prawn cocktail
- Creamy garlic prawns
- Dim sims
- Fresh prawns with two dips
- Ginger and garlic prawns
- Homemade cocktail sauce
- You could chop and combine the prawn cake mix in a food processor, but be careful not to overdo it.
- Frozen peeled green prawns are fine in this recipe; defrost first.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.