Quick chocolate cupcakes
- 100g butter
- 2/3 cup (195g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
Chocolate buttercream frosting
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (195g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp cocoa, sifted
- 1 tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced. Line cupcake tins with cases.
Using a mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy and fluffy. Gradually add eggs and mix until just combined.
Combine flour, cocoa and bicarbonate soda. Add to creamed mixture with milk. Beat until just combined.
Spoon mixture into liners until each case is one third full. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
To make the chocolate butter cream
Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar and cocoa and combine well. Beat in milk until mixture is fluffy.
Find more cupcake recipes:
- Basic cupcakes
- Chocolate coca-cola cupcakes
- Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes
- Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes
- Fruity lemon cupcakes
- Hummingbird cupcakes
- Jam doughnut cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Cookie monster cupcakes
- Princess Leia cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes
- These cupcakes are super quick and have a light, fluffy texture.
- Do not overfill the cases otherwise you won’t get 18 cupcakes out of this recipe.
- If you want a thicker dollop of icing on top then you’lll need to increase the amounts in the buttercream recipe.
- Thanks to our sister company Kidspot Australia for creating the instructional video.
- This is a great basic recipe. Also try this everyday chocolate cake if you prefer more butter in your cake mix. It also comes with a simple but delish icing.
- Fans of crumbly Flake bars will devour this chocolate cake which is sprinkled in chocolate flakes.
- For a dark chocolate twist on this recipe, try making luscious chocolate cake which is sinfully delicious.
- Discover how almond meal in place of flour can give your chocolate cake a lovely texture and taste.
- There’s nothing healthy about cake, but this low fat chocolate cake made with diet Greek yoghurt will lesson your guilt!
- See how cream cheese and walnuts in chocolate cake is a yummy addition.
- This chocolate basket cake brimming with Easter eggs is the perfect cake to make for Easter.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.