Sausage and onion jam rolls
Makes approx 18
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 500g beef chipolatas
- 1/2 cup good quality tomato chutney
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 210°C (190°C fan-forced).
Place oil and onions in a saucepan with a lid, and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar and cook for a further minute until caramelised and sticky. Set aside.
Cut each pastry sheet into nine equal squares. Place a teaspoon of onion jam in the centre of a square and top with a sausage. Spoon over a little chutney then bring up two diagonally opposite corners and seal well, encasing the filling. Continue with remaining pastry.
Place sausage rolls on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Bake for 15-18 minutes until puffed and golden.
Find related sausage recipes
- Bangers and mash
- Chevaps and roasted vegetable salad
- Creamy curried sausages
- Curried sausages
- Italian sausage and rocket penne
- Garlic mushrooms, tomatoes and chipolatas
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Sausage and mushroom pasta
- Sausage bake
- Sausage hotpot
- Sausage salad
- Sausages with spiralli
- Tomatoey chipolatas with polenta
- Yummy curried sausages
- Serve with remaining chutney or tomato sauce.
- You could replace the chipolatas with little frankfurts if you prefer.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.