Versatile fruit compote
There is no end to the things you can do with this versatile fruit compote. Dollop some on your breakfast cereal, put a few spoons in your smoothie or eat it on top of toast or in a sandwich. The only limit is your imagination!
Fills 1 large jar
- half bunch of rhubarb, cut into 2cm lengths
- 1 punnet strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- 1 over-ripe yellow nectarine, cut into cubes and stone removed
- 4 tbsp raw sugar
Pile all of the cut fruit into a medium-sized saucepan. Add the raw sugar, turn the heat on low, give the mixture a quick stir and pop the lid on.
When the mixture starts to bubble, remove the lid and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the fruit resembles a chunky pulp.
- You can eat the compote straight away, of course, but you can also let it cool, then store in the fridge to use as you would jam or fresh chopped fruit.
- Feel free to use whichever fruit you like: apples, pears, nectarines, peaches, apricots, berries, dried fruit, add some spice or citrus rind, a dash of vanilla Û_ the possibilities are endless!
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird foråÊKidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Katie atåÊKatie180.