- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/3 cup (80mL) beer (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 2 cups strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- Chives, to garnish
Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add flour and cook over low heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Add beer (if using), mustard and cheese, and stir until creamy, but don’t boil. Remove from heat, add egg and stir until well combined.
Toast bread slices, evenly spread with cheese mixture, and place under a grill until hot and bubbling. Garnish with chives.
- When we were growing up, we called a version of this dish ‘Stuff on Toast’, it became quite the Sunday night institution.
- Add chopped ham, chicken, tomatoes, corn or whatever else you have floating around the kitchen.