Wonderpot kung pao chicken
- 300g dried fettuccine pasta
- 4 small (800g) chicken breast, sliced finely
- 1/2 cup (110g) white sugar
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts + a few to garnish
- 3 tbsp chilli garlic sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) shao tsing wine (Chinese rice wine)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup shallots (green onions), sliced
Step 1. Place pasta, chicken breast, sugar, peanuts, chilli garlic sauce and garlic in a frying pan. In a bowl, mix together stock, soy sauce, wine, vinegar and oil.
Step 2. Pour stock mix into the pan and bring to the boil over high heat.
Step 3. Reduce heat to simmer and stir constantly until there is just enough sauce to coat the pasta and it is cooked al dente. Add more water if required.
Step 4. Remove from heat and stir through shallots. Garnish each serving with a sprinke of peanuts and serve.
- My chef father would be mortified to see this dish. In Chinese cuisine you don’t add pasta to a dish and you definitely don’t use the one-pot method. But I am a time poor mum and a tasty, fast meal will win every time!
- The chilli garlic sauce I used in this recipe is Lee Kum Kee brand and the shao tsing wine can be found in the Asian grocery section of most stores.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s beståÊrecipe finder.