Age to start:
Many competitions provide social and fun grades for as young as 5 and 6 year olds up to 18 years. For the more competitive players, provinces provide representation pathways in most parts on New Zealand.
Rules of the game:
The basic rules of Touch are;
- The game is played over two up-to-20 minutes halves with an oval ‘touch’ ball
- Touch is played on a rectangular field – the touchdown zone is the area beyond the scoreline
- Each team starts with six players on the field and up to 8 substitutions. Players may interchange at any time
- Players must pass only backward and before being ‘touched’ by an opponent
Possession changes after 6 touches, a dropped ball or an incorrect ‘play’ A touchdown is awarded when a player places the ball on or over the scoreline prior to being touched
Find the rules of Touch
Touch is suitable for boys and girls and teams may be separate or mixed. It is a fun, low-cost, low time involvement sport that caters for all levels of ability. It is a non-contact sport so the risk of serious injury is minimal.
Sign up dates:
Most touch competitions are co-ordinated by the provincial touch association who can link you to your local clubs, module associations, and school or college ompetitions.
To participate in Touch you are required to;
- Be physically fit
- Possess good passing and catching skills
- Possess agility
- Have decision-making ability