Banana and passionfruit cake
- canola oil spray
- 3 medium bananas
- pulp of 4 passionfruit
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
Preheat the oven to 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced. Line a loaf tin or spray a fluted ring cake tin with canola oil spray (I find that’s pretty much a fool-proof way to ensure the cake never sticks).
Mash the bananas and then combine the remaining ingredients except for the apricot jam.
Stir gently until just combined and then spoon into the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes.
Heat the jam in a small saucepan over a low heat or alternately warm it in the microwave for a minute so it’s easy to spread and then pour it over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Turn out of the ring onto a wire rack and let cool.
Find more recipes using bananas:
- Banana and chocolate parcels
- Banana biscuits
- Banana pancakes with caramel sauce
- Pan-fried banana and nutella sandwich
- Banana and apple bread
- Banana sultana muffins
- If you can’t find passionfruit in season then it’s OK to use tinned passionfruit pulp. Four passionfruit is roughly equal to half a cup of tinned passionfruit.
- It’s not necessary to whip or beat this cake mix. It comes together so well from having the ingredients just combined. It’s very much like a muffin.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. .