Banana cupcakes with passionfruit icing
- 125g butter, room temperature,
- half a cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup mashed banana
- half a cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 and a half cups icing-sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon soft butter
- 2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp
Preheat oven to 180C. Line 12-hole muffin pans with paper cases.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift flour and spice together. Fold into butter mixture with banana, sour cream and milk.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan until each case is 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cakes are cooked when tested. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
To make the passionfruit icing, combine all ingredients in a heatproof bowl. Place over a pan of simmering water. Stir until combined and spreadable. Spread over cooled cakes.
- This recipe will make about 16 cupcakes so you will need to bake the extra cakes after you have removed the first batch from the oven unless you have 2 muffin trays.
- These delicious soft and velvety cupcakes are not over powered by the banana flavour so it allows the irresistible passion fruit flavour to come through
- This recipe is based on a recipe from good old Womans Day and is a family favourite that never lets you down.
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand