Beer can chicken
- 1 1 1/2 -2kg free-range chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- All-purpose seasoning
- 1 can beer
Pre-heat oven to 180C.
Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towel.
Rub oil over chicken and cover with all-purpose seasoning.
Open beer can and pour off half of the beer. Insert the can into the birds cavity, and sit the chicken up on a baking tray.
Roast in the oven for 60-90 minutes. The general rule for roasting time is 20 minutes per 500g plus and extra 20 minutes roasting time.
- It’s really a good idea to use a nice large free-range bird for this recipe.
- This makes a beautifully moist roast. It’s a very simple recipe. I have seen some other recipes using up to 10 different herbs and spices but I prefer to let the simple chicken flavours shine through.
- This is a great recipe for the hooded barbeque.
- Some specialty barbeque shops have a rack that supports the chicken and the beer can and stops it from falling over.You can make a homemade one by squashing tin foil into a support ring to go around the can. The bird usually only falls over if you overcook it.
Find related recipes for the man of the house.
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.