Best ever pizza sauce
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic clove (thinly sliced)
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp sugar
Place oil, garlic, onions and thyme leaves into a medium saucepan and heat on low-medium. Add a pinch of salt and cook for 15-20 minutes until onions are softened but not browned.
Add remaining ingredients and season to taste. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Discard the bay leaf and process the sauce until smooth with a stick blender or food processor. Allow to cool a little before spreading on pizza bases.
Related chutney, sauce and preserve recipes:
- Easy rhubarb jam
- Orange marmalade
- Italian tomato sauce
- Lemon curd
- Lemon butter
- Plum jam
- Quick peach jam
- If you don’t want to use red wine, just replace with stock or water.
- >Store the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or pour into a sterilised jar and store in the pantry until needed.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.