- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- half a brown onion, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- Good pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of cinnamon, ground
- half a cup coconut milk
- half a cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
On a low heat in a small saucepan, heat oil and fry grated onion, garlic and ginger until onion for about 2 minutes, until it is transparent.
Add spices and cook for a further 2 minutes to let the flavours release.
Remove from heat and add coconut milk, crushed lime leaves (optional) and peanut butter. Stir until well combined then bring back to the heat to warm through. Do not let it come to a boil.
Once hot take from the heat and add fish sauce and warm water. Stir to combine then serve.
- This sauce is very versatile. It can be stored in the fridge for 5 days and then reheated in the microwave.
- It will set firm, so just add a little extra warm water to thin it out.
- To help save time just before a party, make this 1-2 days ahead for ease and extra flavour.
- You can also add chilli flakes to this recipe if you would like an added boost of heat.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.