This pie will quickly become a family favourite served warm, with a crisp green side salad. For a vegetarian version, leave out the bacon.
Favourite Family Pie
Servings: 5 people
- 2 frozen sheets (350g) shortcrust pastry thawed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper (capsicum) diced
- 1/2 green pepper (capsicum) diced
- 150 grams button mushrooms sliced
- 4 slices shoulder bacon chopped
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary finely
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 eggs
- 200 grams sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease a 24cm quiche dish with oil.
- Line the quiche dish with the pastry, trimming edges to fit. Refrigerate for 20 minutes and then cover with baking paper and weights (e.g. dried rice, beans or pastry weights) and bake ‘blind’ for 20 minutes.
- While the pastry is cooking, heat a film of oil in a frying pan and cook the onion, peppers, mushrooms, bacon, thyme and rosemary over a moderate heat until the onion starts to soften. Season with salt and pepper and then set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, sour cream, milk, mustard and parmesan cheese together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the contents from the frying pan over the pastry base and then pour over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling is just set. Allow to sit in the pie dish for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a crisp green salad.