A delicious new idea using tortillas for the base and a cheesy tasty tuna and egg middle.
Tuna Tortilla Bake
- 50 grams butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 jumbo sized tortilla wraps
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 370 grams canned tuna
- 1 cup tasty cheese grated
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush a 24cm round baking dish with oil.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and cook the eggs for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water before peeling and slicing into quarters.
- Melt the butter over a moderate heat in the same saucepan and mix in the flour, cook stirring for 2 minutes before gradually adding the milk, whisking continuously until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat and stir through the mayonnaise
- Lay a tortilla in the base of the baking dish and cover with half of the red onion, celery, tuna and sliced egg. Spoon over a third of the sauce, sprinkle with a third of the cheese, half the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with the another tortilla and repeat the process
- Finish off with a tortilla on top, spread with the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is crisp and golden. Serve with a green salad.
If you don’t have a large round baking dish then just trim the tortilla wraps and arrange the pieces in a rectangular dish eg; a lasagne dish or similar.