Fragrant and tasty, this one dish version of Nasi Goreng is quick and easy.
Ideal for all the family, but if you like a bit of a kick, add some chilli.
One Dish Nasi Goreng
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500 grams chicken thigh fillet cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 onion halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- 12 medium green prawns peeled, deveined
- 4 size 7 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until well browned.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add kecap manis, soy, chilli sauce, sambal oelek and rice. Stir until well combined. Pour in stock and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a roasting dish and cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the prawns to the rice mixture. Make 4 indentations into the rice and break an egg into each indent. Recover with foil and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the egg whites are just cooked.
- Stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Top with onion, cucumber, tomatoes, peanuts and coriander and serve.
If you like a kick of heat, add 1-2 finely chopped small red chillies. You can substitute the prawns for any other protein or leave out altogether.