How cute are these cupcakes?! Using Cookie Monster as inspiration, this cupcake recipe is easy to whip together and is great for weekend baking with the kids or as a fun party food at their next birthday party.
Cookie Monster cupcakes
Whip together these cupcake treats that feature one of our favourite childhood characters.
- 125 grams unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk roughly 185ml
Cookie Monster Decorating
- 200 grams unsalted butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups icing mixture
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- blue food colouring
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 packet white marshmallows
- 1 tube black writing icing
- 12 chocolate chip cookies 1/2 per Monster with a few for breakage
Baking the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place muffin papers in one 12-hole muffin tray or cupcake papers in two 12-hole cupcake trays. In an electric mixer, beat butter for 2 minutes until pale in colour and creamy. Add sugar one third at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about a minute between each addition. Add the vanilla essence and beat until combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder and add half to butter mixture with half the milk, mix until well combined. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
- Fill cupcake papers ¾ full (an icecream scoop is perfect for this). Bake muffin size cupcakes for 20-25 minutes and small cupcakes for about 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool completely.
Creating Cookie Monster
- Using an electric mixer, whip the butter until it is pale. This will take at least 5 minutes on high. Gradually add in the icing mixture and vanilla until well combined.
- With the mixer running, add in food colouring until you get to the Cookie Monster colour. This may be a lot if you are using liquid food colouring or a little if using gel food colouring. Add in the milk and mix until the frosting puffs up.
- Fill a piping bag with a fluted nozzle and pipe on icing. With the writing icing, place black spots on the marshmallows for pupils. Place on each cupcake.
- Cut cookies in half and place in “mouth”.
Cookie Monster cupcakes
- You can use your favourite cupcake recipe for these. Just go with what your kids love best!
- There is quite a bit of food colouring in these cupcakes for the blue icing. If this concerns you, you can use a natural food colouring.
- If you don’t have time to use a piping bag for the icing you can swirl a very thick coating on the cupcake and use the flat blade of a knife to create the Cookie Monsters fur.
- It is really important that you whip the butter in this recipe until it is very pale and almost white, as the icing will take on a green hue from the yellow in the butter. If your icing takes on a green light, you can add some lilac to cancel out the colour.
- If you can’t get black writing icing, you can stick on brown mini M&M’s for the pupils.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find related cupcake recipes
- Basic cupcakes
- Chocolate coca-cola cupcakes
- Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes
- Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes
- Fruity lemon cupcakes
- Hummingbird cupcakes
- Jam doughnut cupcakes
- Quick Chocolate cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Princess Leia cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes