Blueberry buttermilk cake
- 1/4 cup (65g) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (175g) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups (200g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (140g) frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp extra sugar
Heat oven to 210°C (190°C fan-forced). Line a round 20cm springform pan with baking paper and set aside.
Melt butter and allow to cool slightly.
Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla together until mixture is light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add melted butter and buttermilk and beat until combined. Add flour and gently mix through.
Stir half the blueberries through and pour mixture into prepared pan. Top with remaining blueberries and bake for 45 minutes or until centre is set and a cake skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with extra sugar and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Find related cake recipes
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing
- I'm not much of a baker because I like to keep everything low fat. But after much research into low fat baking, I came up with this cake. It’s packed with blueberries which is wonderful and only uses a fraction of the butter of most cakes. Plus it's easy peasy lemon squeezy.
- Make sure you beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla for at least 2 minutes until light, pale and fluffy.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.