Brown sugar porridge
- 1 tsp roughly chopped walnuts (about 1-2 walnut halves)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pie apples
- 1 ½ tsp brown sugar
Place walnuts into a small frypan and cook over a low heat until brown and fragrant. (Keep an eye on them as nuts burn very quickly. If you think you’ll eat this more often, toast a batch of nuts and keep them in an airtight container).
Place oats, milk, ½ cup water and vanilla extract into a small saucepan and cook over a medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes. Add more water if porridge gets too dry. I like my porridge creamy and loose and so I use a little more water.
While porridge is cooking, heat apples and keep warm. Once porridge is cooked, pour into a bowl and top with apples, brown sugar and toasted nuts.
- Make sure you use traditional oats and not quick oats for this recipe.
- You can replace the apples with any tinned fruit of your choice
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more breakfast recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Bull’s eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Breakfast burritos
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Almond pancakes
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter
- Apple & hazelnut bircher muesli