Creamy zucchini pasta bake
- oil spray
- 250g wholemeal or low GI pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 large zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) passata
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup light cream cheese
- 2-3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2/3 cup (50g) grated light tasty cheese (I used 50 percent reduced fat)
- fresh parsley to serve
Heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Spray a casserole dish with oil and set aside.
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add zucchini, onions and garlic with a pinch of salt.
Cook vegetables for 8-10 minutes, until softened.
Add chicken stock, passata and oregano and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the cream cheese and mix through the vegetables until combined.
Add cooked pasta, season with pepper and stir to combine.
Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish, top with tomato slices and grated cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley and a big salad.
Find related pasta bake recipes
- Bacon and tomato pasta bake
- BBQ chicken pasta bake
- Butternut pumpkin and goat’s cheese pasta bake
- Cheesy pasta bake
- Cheesy three veg pasta bake
- Chicken and asparagus pasta bake
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken and pumpkin pasta bake
- Creamy bolognaise pasta bake
- If your kids can’t stand anything green just peel the zucchinis before you use them.
- If you don’t have any zucchini to hand, try peas, broccoli or even eggplant.
- No oregano? No worries! Use thyme or basil instead.
- This recipe can be reheated or even served cold for lunch the next day.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.