Croque monsieur or madame
- 4 slices crusty bread, thickly sliced
- 4 slices leg ham
- half a cup grated tasty cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs (for les madames)
Place two slices of bread on a flat surface, top with ham (tucking in any stray bits) and cheese. Top with remaining two slices of bread. Heat a frypan over medium heat and melt the butter. Fry the monsieurs for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Transfer monsieurs to plates and serve immediately.
If you are making madames, fry the eggs in the saucepan (I like using egg rings). When the eggs are almost set on top, turn carefully to cook the top and then serve an egg on each madame.
- A toasted ham and cheese sandwich with a fancy name!
- The egg on top is a nice touch for breakfast.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.