Easy caesar salad
- 6 rashers bacon or prosciutto
- 1 cup croutons (see Notes below)
- 1 small cos lettuce
- half a cup shaved parmesan
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- bought Caesar salad dressing
Heat a non-stick frypan over medium to high heat and fry bacon or prosciutto slices until crisp. Transfer to paper towel to drain, then break into long strips.
Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, add the vinegar. Turn the heat to low and use a spoon to stir the water until you have a whirlpool. Crack an egg into a small bowl, carefully pour the egg into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for 3 minutes for a soft boiled egg. Transfer the egg to a plate while you cook the remaining eggs.
While poaching eggs, arrange lettuce on a large serving platter or on individual plates. Sprinkle with bacon or prosciutto, croutons and parmesan. Top salad with eggs and drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.
- Homemade croutons are much nicer than bought ones. Thinly slice day old breadstick, Turkish bread or use slices of plain old supermarket bread, spray with olive oil and bake in 180C oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crunchy. Store any (cold) leftovers in an air tight container.
- I used Paul Newmans Caesar dressing, very tasty and profits go to charities. Rest in peace, Paul.
- Add anchovy fillets if your palates can cope with them! Add some slices of cooked chicken breast or schnitzel to bulk up the meal.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.