- 1 bunch spring onions, bottoms chopped off and cut to 10cm lengths
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 bunch of coriander, leaves only
- 1 green chilli
- 2 x 440g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar is good too!)
- a few shakes of Tabasco sauce
- juice of one lime
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor, process the spring onions, garlic, coriander and chilli until chopped but not pureed.
Mix the diced tomatoes and juice from the tin with the processed onions, garlic and coriander.
Add the vinegar, Tabasco, lime juice, sugar, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- I use the best, tinned tomatoes I can buy for this recipe. Don’t skimp!
- Adjust the flavours to suit you. If you want it spicy add more Tabasco. Season well with salt and pepper and spoon into sterile jars or into a big bowl to eat today!
- Variations: add jalapeños or oregano for an extra spicy flavour boost.
- This recipe was created by Pip Lincolne for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more salsa recipes
- Avocado salsa
- Avocado salsa dip with corn chips
- Jalapeno salsa
- Prawns with green herb salsa
- Salmon with green salsa
- Mexican fish with corn salsa