Fresh winter salsa
- 1 bunch spring onion (ends trimmed)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1 bunch coriander (washed, ends trimmed)
- 1 green chilli
- 2 x 440 g canned tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 tsp sugar (to taste)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika (to taste)
In a food processor, blitz the spring onions, garlic, coriander and chilli until chopped quite finely (but not so much that it turns into mush).
In a big bowl, mix the canned tomatoes (no need to drain!) with the chopped vegetables and herbs.
Add the vinegar, tabasco, lime juice, sugar, cayenne pepper and paprika. Season well with salt and pepper and spoon into sterile jars or into a big bowl to eat that day.
Related chutney, sauce and preserve recipes:
- Easy rhubarb jam
- Orange marmalade
- Italian tomato sauce
- Lemon curd
- Lemon butter
- Strawberry chia fridge jam
- Bush chutney jam
- This salsa is amazing with corn chips or on roasted potatoes or barbecue meats or vegetables. It’s also great to make Mexican beef when you whip up this salsa. You just put about 500g of diced gravy beef in the slow cooker with 250g of salsa and cook for 6 hours on low. Too easy!
- Use good quality canned tomatoes, not the super cheap ones, to get the best flavour.
- This recipe was created by Pip Lincolne for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.