Friday fish bake
- 60g butter
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250mL) milk
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- 425g can tuna or salmon
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the onion until soft. Add cornflour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and stir until thickened. Stir in the corn, tuna/salmon, rice, parsley and eggs.
Spoon into a 2L oven proof baking dish. Combine the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the tuna mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is crunchy and golden. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- In the 70s and 80s this was ‘tuna mornay’ in our house, but I think Fish Bake sounds more appetising!
- Cook some extra rice if you are also making Rainbow rice, and then you will be all set to make this later in the week.
- Use gluten-free bread to make the breadcrumbs and the dish gluten-free.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.