Gluten-free apple and blueberry crumble
- 1 x 800g tin pie apples
- 500g frozen blueberries
- zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 60g cold butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced.
In a large bowl, combine apples, frozen blueberries (they’re easier to handle if still frozen) and orange zest. Mix to combine then pour into a suitably sized pie dish (approximately 25cm x 35cm).
In a food processor mix the flour, butter and brown sugar until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the coconut and almonds then pour over the top of the fruit.
Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Frozen berries tend to be cheaper than fresh especially outside of their growing season. I watch for the frozen berries to come on special at the supermarket and then buy to stock up my freezer.
- If you don’t have a food processor you can just rub the cold butter through the flour and sugar until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- This recipe was created by Charlie Louie for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
More crumble recipes
- Apple and blackberry crumble
- Apple and rhubarb crumble
- Apple, mango and almond crumble
- Nectarine crumble
- Pear and berry crumble
- Jammy granola clusters