Healthy butter chicken
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 500g chicken thighs, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam marsala
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (stalk and leaves)
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 180ml (3/4 cup) chicken stock
- 120ml (1/2 cup) low fat Greek yoghurt
- 60ml (1/4 cup) low fat thickened cream
- 2 cups cooked rice
- coriander leaves for garnish
Heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium and add half the butter.
Add chicken and onion and brown for a couple of minutes.
Remove mixture from the pan and set aside.
Reduce heat to low and add remaining butter as well as the garlic, ginger, cumin, garam marsala, cardamom and coriander.
Cook for 1-2 minutes before returning chicken to the pan, along with the tomatoes and chicken stock.
Increase the heat and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes before adding yoghurt and cream.
Heat through and serve on rice garnished with coriander leaves.
Find related healthy dinner recipes
- Fish in foil
- Pan-fried lamb salad
- Vietnamese rice paper rolls
- Turkey and mango parcels
- Spring lamb with dukkah yoghurt
- Vegetable tagine with couscous
- Healthy roast lamb
- Beer can chicken
- Tom yum soup
- Chicken in Oyster sauce stirfry
- Basmati rice is the most commonly served rice with Indian dishes.
- You can also serve this dish with cucumber raita which has a fresh palate cleansing effect.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.