Homemade chicken soup
For the stock
- 1 free-range chicken
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 cups cold water
For the soup
- 1 cup small pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Place it in a large stockpot and add remaining ingredients.
Bring to a gentle simmer and let bubble away for 2 hours.
Check every now and then that the chicken isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan as it could burn. Remove the chicken from stock and place on a chopping board, sitting on a tea towel (this should catch any juices from escaping all over your kitchen bench).
Let cool a little before shredding off the chicken and store in an airtight container in the fridge until needed.
To make up the soup
Bring a couple of cups of the stock to a boil, add the soup pasta and cook for aproximately 5 minutes.
Add frozen peas and cook for another 2 minutes.
Stir through some shredded chicken and serve with a little shaving of parmesan.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Homemade chicken soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe
- A free-range chicken is important for the flavour of this recipe.
- If you use the best basic ingredients you will have the best flavour.
- You can add other frozen vegetables if you prefer.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.