Homemade fish fingers and baked fries
- 4 red potatoes, large
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil + 2 tsp extra
- 4 salmon fillets (preferably the long, narrow ones), cut into ‘fingers’
- 3 wholemeal bread crusts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced.
Cut potatoes into chip shapes. Toss the chips in 2 teaspoons rice bran oil – just enough to coat them but not drench them or the chips will be soggy. Place on baking paper on a baking tray. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Chop the bread crusts in a food processor to make crumbs.
Beat egg with Dijon mustard.
Dip salmon pieces in the egg mixture then in the breadcrumbs.
Heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and cook until golden. If pan gets a little dry, add a dash more oil.
Remove chips from oven when golden and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve with the salmon and salad or steamed veggies.
- You can make your own aioli to serve with the fish fingers. Use a stick blender to mix 1 crushed garlic clove, 2 egg yolks and 1 tsp salt. Continue pulsing stick blender as you add 1 cup of olive oil in a very slow drizzle until it’s all combined and thickened and a lovely, creamy colour. Stir in 1 tablespoon water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tsp dijon mustard. Serve.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder..
Find more fish recipes
- Beer batter fish
- Easy crumbed fish
- Fish cakes with sweet chilli mayo
- Fish in foil
- Lemony fish bites
- Seafood risotto
- Thai fish cakes