Low-fat meat pie recipe
- 6 reduced-fat puff pastry sheets
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil
- 1 onion, pureed in a food processor
- 750g extra-lean beef mince
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 750ml (2 1/2) cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
Remove pastry sheets from freezer to defrost.
Saute onion in oil until softened. Add mince, breaking up lumps with back of spoon until browned.
Blend in flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock and tomato paste. Bring to boil, stirring. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Cool.
Heat pie maker. Cut pastry circles using pie cutter. Place large circle in pie maker, fill with mince. Place smaller circle on top. Cook until golden (takes about 5 minutes). Serve with lots of veggies.
Leftover pies can be reheated in the pie maker for another meal. Recipe makes 12 pies.
Find related pie recipes
- Baby lamb balti pies
- Bacon and egg pies
- Beef and onion pie
- Rocket and mushroom Pies
- Chicken and corn pie
- Easy shepherd’s pie
- If you don’t have a pie maker, use a large muffin tray. But I do recommend getting your hands on a pie maker. Your kids will think you’re a kitchen superhero and they’re a fail-safe way to create a meal.
- Kids are often anti-onion which is why I puree veggies in a food processor to hide them.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.