One-pot beef and capsicum casserole
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- half a teaspoon salt and pepper
- 700g chuck steak, cubed
- 2 red capsicums (approx 250g), sliced into 5 cm strips
- 2 medium brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400ml warm water
- half a cup chopped parsley
- Zest of one lemon
- half a cup frozen peas
Preheat oven to 180C.
Add oil to a large earthenware dish or ovenproof dish with a lid.
Combine flour, paprika, salt and pepper together and roll beef cubes in the mixture until well covered. Put beef and remaining flour in the oven dish.
Add capsicum, onion and garlic.
Combine water and tomato paste in a small bowl and mix well then pour over meat and vegetables until just covering.
Cook for 2 hours covered.
20 minutes before serving, add the peas and check seasoning. Just before serving, mix parsley and lemon zest together and sprinkle over beef.
- My husband came up with this recipe when we were living on peanuts in Edinbrough. It is quick, easy on the pocket and very tasty. If I play with it a little I change the parsley to a basil and tomato salsa to give it a twist and serve with mashed potatoes.
- Depending on the size of your dish you might need less water, make sure it only just covers ingredients for best results.
- This recipe will also work in a slow cooker on medium heat for about 7-8 hours.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.