Oven ‘fried’ chicken recipe
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 125ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets
- 50g cornflakes
- 20g plain flour
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- rice bran oil cooking spray
Stir Tabasco into buttermilk and pour into a flat-bottomed casserole dish.
Coat the chicken pieces with the buttermilk mixture and refrigerate for a few hours (or overnight).
Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced.
Place cornflakes, flour, celery salt and smoked paprika in a large zip-lock bag. Shake to combine. Use a rolling pin to crush the cornflake mixture. Pour into a shallow dish.
Gently roll the chicken pieces in the crushed cornflakes mixture. Place on baking paper on a baking tray. Spray with rice bran oil cooking spray.
Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Turn pieces over. Spray with rice bran oil cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes longer until cooked through (check with a skewer to see if juices run clear).
Serve with mashed potatoes, veggies, salad or homemade coleslaw.
Find more chicken recipes:
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken
- Try adding grated parmesan to the crushed cornflake mixture for a cheesy twist.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a slit in the chicken thighs before rolling in the cornflake crumbs. Then stuff with a little chopped up mozzarella and ham for a special treat. Secure with a cocktail stick if necessary before baking in the oven.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.