Portuguese chicken burgers
- 600g chicken thigh fillets
- 5 burger buns or 1 loaf of Turkish bread, sliced and toasted
- 3 cups lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 finely diced onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 and a half tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried or fresh oregano
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/4 tsp piri piri spice mix
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
Mix all marinade ingredient together with a mortar and pestle until they becomes a paste (about 3 minutes).
Pound the chicken fillets as flat as you can with a mallet or similar.
Brush on marinade and refrigerate for 30 mins – 1 hour.
Fry chicken in frying pan or on griddle/BBQ until cooked but not too brown.
Combine mayonnaise ingredients in a small bowl.
Toast and butter the buns or turkish bread, add chicken, mayonnaise, tomato and lettuce and serve.
- These are sooooo good. Really!
- These Portuguese chicken burgers might be a bit spicy for little kids but you could cut down on the spices to make them more acceptable.
- These burgers are not only a wonderful, easy, tasty meal but the chicken fillets would even be fantastic chopped up in a salad, or just as is on your BBQ.
- You can use paprika in place of piri piri spice mix if you can’t find piri piri.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.