Rice pudding with glazed pears and hazelnuts
Basic rice pudding recipe
- 10g unsalted butter (for greasing)
- 1/2 cup short-grain rice
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1L (4 cups) whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
For the glazed pears
- 10g butter
- 2 pears, peeled and quartered
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts
Preheat oven to 160°C conventional or 140°C fan-forced and lightly butter an ovenproof dish (4cm deep and 24cm diameter).
Combine rice, sugar, whole milk and vanilla paste in dish, stir well, cover with foil and cook for one hour. Stir again and cook for another half an hour or until rice is creamy and soft.
Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat. Add pears and sugar and cook for a few minutes on each side, or until the pears become lightly golden. Spoon mixture onto rice pudding, sprinkle with hazelnuts and serve.
Related hot dessert recipes
- Apple and rhubarb crumble
- Apple and blackberry crumble
- Apple crumble
- Bread and butter pudding
- Butterscotch self saucing pudding
- Blueberry buckle cake recipe
- Chocolate fudge pudding
- Caramelised pear tarts
- Chocolate self-saucing pudding
- Easy pear cobbler
- Butterscotch pudding
- Lemon delicious pudding
- You could serve with a dollop of jam or sliced bananas and a sprinkling of demerara sugar.
- Make a chocolate rice pudding by stirring through a little cocoa powder before cooking or add cinnamon to the recipe for a gently spiced version.
- Keep in mind that this is lovely served cold, so you might consider doubling the recipe and stowing a few little pots in the fridge to send with school lunches or snack on for morning tea.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.