Sausage wheel with easy chutney
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (80g) brown sugar
- 8 thin sausages
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 3 bay leaves
Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
Place onion, tomatoes, vinegar and sugar in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until sticky and jammy.
Meanwhile, untwist joins between sausages and gently push fillings together to form one long sausage. Beginning at one end, manoeuvre sausage into a spiral shape. Push a couple of bamboo skewers through to keep it all in place. Place spiral onto a non-stick baking tray. Push garlic slices and bay leaves in between the gaps of the coil.
Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Serve in the centre of the table on a large platter or board with chutney, fresh bread and a salad.
Find related sausage recipes
- Bangers and mash
- Chevaps and roasted vegetable salad
- Creamy curried sausages
- Curried sausages
- Italian sausage and rocket penne
- Garlic mushrooms, tomatoes and chipolatas
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Sausage and mushroom pasta
- Sausage bake
- Sausage hotpot
- Sausage salad
- Sausages with spiralli
- Tomatoey chipolatas with polenta
- Yummy curried sausages
- Make sure the sausages haven't been cut or separated when you buy them. Better still, ask your butcher to create an extra long sausage without tying off the links.
- You could use tinned tomatoes to make the chutney in the cooler months.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder, by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.