Simple nicoise salad
- 2 large eggs
- 10 green beans, trimmed and tailed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 new potatoes, cooked and sliced into 1cm rounds
- 1 tsp capers (drained)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1/4 cup black olives
- cos lettuce
- crusty bread and lemons, to serve
- 4 anchovies
- 2 1/2 tbsp (50mls) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (40ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (20ml) dijon mustard (optional)
Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
Cook for 6 minutes and then remove and set aside.
Blanch the beans in boiling water then refresh by plunging into iced water for a minute or so.
In a large bowl, combine remaining salad ingredients.
Make the dressing by pouring ingredients into a jar and shaking well.
Just before serving, arrange the lettuce on a large plate and top with remaining salad ingredients.
Peel and quarter the eggs and place these on top of the salad, then add the anchovies and pour over the dressing.
Serve with crusty bread and a wedge of lemon.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad
- The one thing that can compromise this salad a little also happens to be its key ingredient – the egg!
- You really want a beautiful, fresh free-range egg here and to cook it just until the yolk is set with the slightest wobble right at the centre.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.