Smokey chicken and white bean soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups (1.5L) chicken stock
- 2 x 400g cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 smoked chicken drumsticks
- 200g short pasta
- grated parmesan
Heat olive oil in a large pot. Saute onion, carrot, celery and garlic until softened. Add tomatoes, stock, 1 can of cannellini beans and chicken drumsticks. Simmer over a low heat for 30-40 minutes.
Remove chicken drumsticks and puree liquid mixture with a stick blender.
Add pasta and second can of beans. Simmer until pasta is cooked.
Shred the smoked chicken meat into the dish if desired and ladle mixture into bowls.
Serve with freshly grated parmesan. Also great with a cob of fresh bread and butter.
- You can use risoni or small pasta shells for this recipe.
- If you don't like smoked chicken just replace it with 400g of diced chicken breast or thighs.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Homemade chicken soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe